I love a good potato salad. It’s one of those warm weather dishes that I could, honestly, made a meal of. It’s not carb friendly at all though. All those potatoes are a keto nightmare.
I was skeptical when I kept seeing faux potato salad recipes using cauliflower instead of potatoes. Steamed cauliflower isn’t really my thing, although I’m learning to like it when served in a dish with plenty of seasoning. My husband was making a batch of regular potato salad and I wanted to stay on track, so I decided to try out the cauliflower version.
What was the verdict? I am surprised at how much like potato salad it is. When you think about it, potatoes don’t have much flavor on their own and in potato salad, they really take on the flavor off the dressing. While the cauliflower isn’t the same texture, it does take on the dressing flavor quite well. I’ll definitely be making this one again.
- 1 head Cauliflower Chopped into 1/4" - 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard I like Grey Poupon
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise I like Best Foods
- 1 t White wine vinegar
- 1/2 t Celery salt
- To taste Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup Red onion Finely chopped
- 1 Hardboiled egg Finely chopped
- 2 Green onions Chopped on bias into 1/4" pieces
- 3 pieces Cooked thick bacon Finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery Finely chopped
- Place chopped cauliflower into a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook in microwave, on high for 4 1/2 minutes.
- Drain cauliflower and place into ice water bath to stop cooking and chill.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix well.
- After 5 minutes or so, the cauliflower should be chilled. Drain well, then dry between a few layers of paper towels. You don't want any water to water down your dressing.
- Add the cauliflower to the bowl of dressing and combine.
- Garnish with mix ins. Stir to combine before serving.